Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cedar Point and 1001 Ways to Die

Is it because I'm close to turning 40? Because I really and truly am cool with it. Or is it because I'm a parent?


It really is quite a beautiful thing at night!
One of those most enjoyable days of the summer for the KrausHouse included thoughts of the most improbable ways for us to lose our lives. Ridiculous, right?  Now I'm not talking complete morbidity throughout the day...because it seriously was the "BEST. DAY. EVER!" (-Rapunzel) at Cedar Point.  But there were certain times where the most ridiculous thoughts of  our certain demise rolled through my head.  In a place which boasts the tallest and fastest roller coasters in the world for several years running;  which meant nothing but pure, constant and unbridled thrills and fun in the past, now still brings those feelings, only to tempered by the sharp, cutting fear of the implausible - 1001 ways to die by amusement park malfunction. What if one little bolt decides NOW is the time to snap as the Millenium Force rushes down it's 300+ foot first hill drop or when it careens around it's almost inverted banked curves? Or, what if  the ONE lattice-like metal bars of the gigantic ferris wheel, which just so happens to secure the cart carrying myself, Hubby, Sweet Pea and Monkey Man,  decides to snap in half as we're sitting perilously on top as the workers load more passengers?!?!

In the days of my youth I never thought such things as I waited in line for 2+ hours, in some cases, to ride the newest, biggest, fastest envelope-pushing brain child of the Cedar Fair, Inc. engineers. Two hours of standing in the blazing sun would SEEM like ample opportunity to think such thoughts, no?

Geez, am I beginning to think like my mom....

With our favorite pal, SNOOPY!
So why now is the question? I tend to think it's less about my age...and more about the beloved people in my life right now whom I couldn't live without. That kind of love, responsibility and devotion sneaks up on you at the most surprising times.  Like when you're hurtling towards Lake Erie at 70 mph held in only by a lap bar....



No comments:

Post a Comment