Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's Summertime, Summertime, Sum-Sum-Summertime!

Blogging. Poolside. Ahhhhhhh. It could only mean one thing....SUMMER! In full disclosure, "poolside" means I'm sitting in my backyard patio (which is pretty great) whilst the kiddos are in the blow-up, but pump filtered, pool on the driveway.  Ah, the suburban Cleveland summer scene!  Once the calendar hits June, it's officially summer in my book. (I'm not waiting for some silly date on the calendar when the month is almost over!)  Although, it has been "summery" in Ctown most of the time since April.  Mother Nature tends to be very schizophrenic when it comes to the clime of the North Coast, but this year has been exceptional.  With regular ventures into the 80s and 90s since April, I have been getting my summer planning in high gear. With that,  I've come up with my "must haves" for this summer in Home & Entertaining, Beauty and Fashion.  I'm always on the look-out to see what products friends and fellow bloggers have discovered.  Here's my contribution!

HOME AND ENTERTAINING

GLASS BEVERAGE DISPENSER

I love me some cocktails. Summer seems to bring out the casual drinker in everyone.  Or maybe it ramps up your consumption of  "Mommy" drinks (as we call them in the KrausHouse), like it does for me.  And if you're planning on hosting any type of get together, it's best to be prepared for mass consumption :).  Who wants to spend the entire party worrying about how quickly your guests are swigging down your libations and running to the kitchen to make more?  Problem solved....with two simple things...glass beverage dispensers and an easy summer cocktail recipe!  I bought a small glass beverage dispenser a few years ago because I am a HUGE sun tea fanatic, and it has been one of my best purchases EVER! Seriously. One helpful hint, though.  It must be glass. Plastic ain't gonna cut it for sun tea.  All of the terrible chemicals in the plastic will leach out into your tea as it's heated by the sun.  BLECH.
After spending most of the late winter pinning amazing summer drink recipes from PINTEREST, I found the mother of all glass drink dispensers at Target.  YAY!   Now I am ready for the best of what summer has to offer...from flavored water, wine spritzers, mounds of fruit soaked in alcohol! OY!
EASY SUMMER COCKTAIL
*The reason I LOVE this recipe is
 because you can make a 
huge batch ahead of time, 
and if you still run out, it goes together in seconds!!!

3 cans of Fresca pop
1 bag frozen whole strawberries, or fresh strawberries

Mix the wine and pop, add the strawberries. DELISH!!





WHIMSICAL PLANTER FOR A TABLETOP

I am a gardener.  It's the only thing that makes me want to live in a more temperate climate. But we do have a great growing season in The Cleve (from April with early, hearty plants to late October), so I can't complain too much.  Flowers are my first passion.  The first thing I bought when I moved into my own apartment was an array of pots and flowers for my patio.  NOTHING spruces up a living space or entertaining space like flowers.  I found this adorable tea cup planter at Kmart one day when I ran in for some sunflower seeds for Sweet Pea and I for our annual sunflower garden.  (Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to it on the Kmart website, but it's a seasonal thing, so ya' know!)  There are plenty of whimsical planters and pots to choose from in a number of local places:  local garden stores, big box home improvement stores, JoAnn Fabrics, etc.  Find something you love, add a fun flower (I chose a bright pink petunia) and brighten up your outdoor entertaining space.  Also, if you have any gardening/flower questions, I worked at a florist for several years and would love to help you out!  Just leave your question in the comments :)  In a upcoming post, I'll also be sharing our new and improved KrausHouse Green Acres and plantings.


PRODUCTS

J.R. WATKINS PEPPERMINT FOOT SALVE

Hot summer nights with HOT summer sandals, right Girls?!? 'Tis the season for pedicures to keep those piggies looking fresh in those hot sandals, too.  But if the budget doesn't allow for those frequent salon or spa visits, and you're more of a "do-it-yourself"-er like me, then this is your $ saving, saving grace product.  I ordered mine through BIRCHBOX after receiving one of their product highlight emails. (BTW, if you're a product/make-up junkie like me, but again, don't have the Hollywood budget to spend trying out tons of products - you've gotta sign up for a BIRCHBOX subscription.  When I receive my June Box, I'll share a little more about what it is!) I have also seen JR Watkins products at Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores.  Don't ask me how I know this....let's just say there MAY be something to a rumor of a fried okra obsession.
This stuff in AMAZING!  I always have trouble with my heels drying out during the summer, and add in the fact that I spend two nights a week walking, running and jumping barefoot around Little Gym while I'm instructing, it's WAY worse.  I've been using the foot salve every night for over a week and my heels look great.  It's all natural, and the peppermint smells and feels so great on your feet. I put it on right before bed and sleep in a pair of socks to allow it soak in overnight.  I cannot recommend this product any more highly to keep those feet literally and figuratively FRESH!

PACIFICA MALIBU LEMON BLOSSOM BODY PRODUCTS

I have a slight case of OCD when it comes to body care products, their scents and the season.  The scent has to match the season.  I have a fall scent, a Holiday season scent, a winter scent, an early spring scent, a spring scent and a summer scent.  THIS is my summer scent -  Pacifica Malibu Lemon Blossom.  I discovered Pacifica while reading an article in a parenting magazine in my OB's office when I was pregnant with Monkey.  Sweet Pea was two, and I was becoming really conscious of the chemicals we were putting in and on our bodies as a family.  Sunscreen was the product that sent me down this path, but I digress. (Check out EWG.org for their safe sunscreen list).  The magazine article listed safe, natural body care products for Moms. I noted "Pacifica" in my phone and came across it shopping in Sephora one day.  I tried several of their incredible scents in the store, but Malibu Lemon Blossom is, by far, the most quintessential summer fragrance for me :).  I also use Tahitian Gardenia in the spring, and my mom LOVES the French Lilac - and she usually can't wear any type of perfume without it giving her a headache. All their scents are light and lovely! They have several types of products available in each scent - body wash, body butter, roll-on perfume (which is perfect for travel/purse purposes), spray perfume and MY FAVORITE solid perfume.  The packaging is also gorgeous!  My favorite body care company! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!!!



FASHION

FLOPPY STRAW HAT

Beach, backyard, pool, picnic, BBQ, outdoor wedding or vaca? Yes. All of them are ready for a the quintessential summer chapeau.  This is the first summer in a long time since I've had one and boy did I miss it!  I bought one for Sweet Pea a few years ago when we took our first family vaca to Edisto Beach, SC.  The entire trip I was thinking, "Why didn't you get one for yourself, ya' big dummy!".  She still has hers and it's adorable.  And now I have mine, thanks to Kohl's, this season!  I love that the accents are in my favorite color, Tiffany Blue.  The flower is removable, so I can add some color accents with a sun yellow or coral flower, or I can just wear it plain.  I love versatility!






LACE-EDGED SHORTS

Every season, there's one HOT fashion trend I indulge myself with.  This spring, it was coral colored skinny jeans (as seen in my affordable Mother's Day style post. Scroll to the end of the post to see pics).  This summer, it's lace-edged shorts.  Lace shorts have been everywhere as the hot trend.  Most I have seen have been very delicate and dressy, likely worn on a special night out in my case.  But again, Kohl's comes through for me with a practical version to stay on-trend while being affordable and versatile.  These shorts can be dressed down for everyday errands with a cute top and stylish sandals, or dressed-up for a night out with a flow-y top or embellished tank and a pair of heels or wedges.  


There ya' have it, Folks! My humble thoughts on fun summer stuff!  I hope you found something interesting, helpful and inspirational :)  For me, it's all about finding what you love and sharing with others! It's the teacher in me, I guess.  Share the knowledge!! XOXOXOXO

1 comment:

  1. I have been scouting glass pitchers for that exact same reason! That's it - I'm pulling the trigger! Gotta have something for all those Pinterest drinks :)
    Lovvvvveeee your shorts - adorable and perfect for these hot summer days.
    I actually was wondering about the foot scrub too - another purchase about to be made!
    Looks like these types of posts will be costing me some $$ :)
    Love this post! Happy Sunday, beautiful! Xo

    ReplyDelete