Sunday, October 28, 2012

Klassic Kraus Komfort Food #2: Crockpot Chicken Paprikash with Egg Drop Dumplings


I had every intention of going to the butcher this morning for chicken legs. But Sandy/Frankenstorm had other plans. So I heeded Mayor Bloomberg's recommendation to stay inside and not travel....all the way in Cleveland.  Seriously though, low 40s and abysmal rain is the WORST WEATHER on the entire PLANET - to me. So, chicken paprikash is on the KrausHouse menu this fine October Sunday and all I have are chicken breasts in the freezer.  Eh, it'll do.

Chicken Paprikash is my all-time, hands-down favorite meal EVA!  And like most ethnic-based, passed down recipes there are a MILLION variations of it. Every family, restaurant, banquet facility, etc. has their own special way of preparing it. I've had delicious versions which are more on the "brown" gravy side, but my version is decidedly orange to almost coral colored gravy.  It all depends on how much paprika you like!  Most of the time I make mine on the stovetop in a dutch oven or in an electric skillet.  But, I have adapted the recipe for the crockpot and it's still REALLY GOOD!


CROCKPOT CHICKEN PAPRIKASH



INDGREDIENTS

Chicken Paprikash
- chicken legs and thighs (enough to feed your family; usually 4-5 legs and thighs)
-  1 pint of sour cream (I make a lot of gravy bc of the dumplings)
-  1/2 stick of butter
-  medium onion, chopped
-  2 tbs. paprika (I like my gravy very orange, you may like less paprika)
-  3/4 tsp. salt 









Start your crock pot on HIGH.  Finely chop the onion.  Add to the crock pot.  Mix in the sour cream and butter.  




Cover and let the butter melt.  
Once the butter is melted, stir in the amount of paprika you'd like.  Then add the chicken.


Let chicken cook in the crockpot on HIGH for 3 hours. When the 3 hours are up, turn on low for dumpling preparation.


EGG DROP DUMPLINGS

- 4 eggs
- flour

Start a large stock pot half full of water to boil. Beat eggs in a large bowl.  Add flour in spoonfuls and mix thoroughly into eggs until batter is thick and sticky.  It should look fairly dry.










Using a teaspoon, scoop half full spoonfuls and drop into boiling water by scraping dough off of the spoon with another spoon.  Dough will sink to the bottom of the pot and rise when fully cooked.




Using a slotted spoon or frying spoon, remove dumplings as they rise and transfer to crock pot to mix in with chicken and paprika gravy. Mix in and let sit in crock pot for 15-20 minutes with the lid on.



Serve with crusty bread or awesome rolls to slop up all the yummy extra gravy. Yes, I know, not the most etiquette-friendly recommendation, but it's soooo worth the dining faux pas!  If you give this version a try, let me know how it turned out and if you had a family full of "clean plate club" members!


6 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I started a crockpot post last week, but never finished. I've never made this, but it looks like I'm gonna have to try it out. Question for you - can I make it with breasts instead of chicken on the bone? Or does the bone add flavor? I hate chicken on the bone... ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this version with two huge chicken breasts from K&K, and it was good. Jim prefers it with breasts instead of legs and thighs. He's like you...not a fan of bones! It's absolutely fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried to make this on low setting? If so, what is the time frame for that? I like to set my crockpot and then get it when I come home from work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi K.C. ~
      I haven't made it on a low setting, but I do cook in my crock A LOT. Typically, if you're switching to a low cooking setting from a recipe that calls for high cooking, you can safely double the cooking time and be fine :) 6-8 hours would most definitely be OK. You can make the dumplings the night ahead and keep them in the fridge. Add them to the crock when you get home and let them warm up for about 15-20 mins. Hope this helped!

      Delete
  4. This recipe sounds amazing and something I think my little family would love....and i love crock pot cooking....got the recipe down...cant wait to try it....Thank You for sharing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart for this! Very close to Mom's taste-wise... made it for my brothers, other extended family and friends and it was a complete hit

    ReplyDelete