Sunday, November 11, 2012

MDNA = EPIC; a laywoman's review of Madonna LIVE in Cleveland

MDNA 2012 CONCERT
QUICKEN LOANS ARENA
CLEVELAND, OHIO
I am a red-blooded American child of the '80s.  Which therefore translates into a whole-hearted love affair with The Queen, Madge, M....MADONNA! I have been DYING to see her live since middle school...it was getting into "Bucket List" territory. Seriously.

 All the way back in February, tickets went on sale for her MDNA 2012 tour stop in Ctown.  My dear friend Bess got tickets through pre-sale and thus, I SAW HER LIVE LAST NIGHT!!! I was ecstatic to be heading out for the ULTIMATE GNO.  And I was not disappointed. Not in the least. Never.

Here's my brief review of the MDNA 2012 Tour Live in Cleveland; a review completely devoid of any appropriate music critic training, other than taking the most EPIC class ever offered at MHHS - POP CULTURE - to study the origins of American music. But nonetheless, I offer my humble thoughts and feelings on one of the most memorable nights in my 39 years on planet Earth...

I've never been to Vegas.  I have heard Vegas shows are a feast for the senses.  I am going to go out on a limb and say what I witnessed last night could be every show in Vegas wrapped up into one ON ECSTASY, but in a good way.  I have never seen anything so visually amazing, perfectly choreographed and supremely staged.  I cannot describe it.  You cannot take your eyes off of this spectacle and nor should you ever try to. The energy is overpowering, contagious.  Madonna is breathtaking and stunning;  in constant motion through the 2 hours of the show - only taking short breaks on musical/dance interludes for costume changes to coincide with the concert theme changes.

My lovely girl  Michelle
aka Golden Triangle Queen
(The Gianni Tree,)
and me
I do have a few offerings of advice for future ticket holders. If you're going expecting to see her rolling around on stage in her white wedding dress singing all your old time faves straight off The Immaculate Collection....DON'T.  If you're a casual Madonna fan looking to relive the glory days of 20+ years ago, this show is NOT for you. And unfortunately, I think a lot of the "MOM" crowd who showed up at last night's show was expecting that. Because that's what I heard them ALL complaining about & I wanted to punch them in the face. (Ok, no not really. Well, maybe just a little bit at the end of the night.  My feet hurt, we couldn't find a cab, it took us forever to get home. I was crabby about that stuff!)
Now, if you're a fan that has kept up with her over the years and know how she has evolved as an artist; knowing she loves to put on a production which has a message, shock value and artistry, then you will LOVE IT!  The song ratio of new to classic is about 3:1.  She brings down the house with the new stuff from MDNA and does surprising renditions of some of the classics. If you don't enjoy the production of Express Yourself (where she spends the majority of time singing the song while twirling a freakin' baton!), you should seriously check your pulse.  Vogue is the most beautiful, visually stunning thing I have ever seen.  And the finale/encore left me wide-awake with energy for most of the night even after I got home.  SIMPLY AMAZING.  My last word of advice is, don't worry about being on time for the concert.  Doors usually open at 8. DJ Paul Oakenfold is her opening act and plays music for about an hour.  He finished up at our concert around 9:45 and Madge made it to the stage a little after 10:30.  Knowing this going in completely changed our game plan for the night.  Most concert venue websites make you aware of the concert timing, but again, judging by some of the complaints, not everyone was "educated".

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN...I'll be watching her dance around the stage using her walker as a prop. Guaranteed.





No comments:

Post a Comment