Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Pepper Radish Relish

I love to cook. Sometimes it's with a recipe and sometimes not. I like when the "sometimes not" turns in to a new-found delight.  I made one of those yesterday while whipping up a topping for our annual Fourth of July hot dogs. I'm a bit of a snobby foodie when it comes to hot dog and sausage toppings.  Aside from my Bertman Ball Park Mustard, a CLE exclusive, I'll take the "crazier the better" sausage topper. I've even put collard greens on sausage...btw, AMAZING!  My inspiration for this latest concoction came from a beautiful bunch of radishes from our CSA (Fresh Fork Market for all you Clevelanders, if you're interested). They provided us with several recipes for serving radishes besides the traditional 'in the salad' method.  But I started thinking about turning them into a different kind of relish/pickled/sweet & sour sausage and hot dog topping.  I'm not sure under which category this needs to be filed, but I'm gonna go with Sweet and Spicy Pepper Radish Relish.  My hubby and I agree that it would be PERFECT on brats or sausages, but a hot dog is mighty fine too!  So here's my FIRST, exclusively all MINE, recipe - plus, it's super simple!

SWEET AND SPICY PEPPER RADISH RELISH


Ingredients
  • 3 Tbs. chopped banana peppers, mild*
  • 3 medium to large radishes, washed and trimmed
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp.  celery seed
  • about 2 tbs.olive oil (for saute')
*I used mild for a more "universal" appeal for guests who may not like really hot peppers.  Normally, I would buy hot banana peppers!
Directions:


Roughly chop banana peppers and radishes.  I used my kitchen chopper from Pampered Chef. Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat.  Add banana peppers and radishes to the pan and saute' until radishes are slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes. While the mixture is cooking,  combine sugar, vinegar and celery seed  in a small bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.  When the radish and pepper mixture is done, add it immediately to the  vinegar mixture and stir until well combined.  Serve the relish hot or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. ENJOY!!!

*Makes enough for about 6 hot dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment